Helix Aspersa snails are the most widely spread type. They are cultivated in industrial scales. They look like the grape snails, however, they are more beneficial. They give more offspring and are ready for reproduction earlier than grape snails.
Conditions for reproduction:
- Each mollusk imported from another continent requires special conditions. Aspersa requires optimum temperature of 20-25 degrees Celsius. If the snail farm has the greenhouse type, the temperature for reproduction remains 20 degrees, and the young species is kept at 17 degrees. For the open farms the required optimum temperature is 25 degrees.
- Humidity, should be not less than 85% and not more than 90%. This is a very important point in the process of breeding, because in case of too low level of humidity, the spindle-shaped muscle detaches, leading to death. When it is too high, the snail hibernates, closing the mouth of the shell with a dense lime cap — epiphragm.
- Snails need the right food for full development. It is not limited by fresh grass, balanced food, but calcium. On large farms, mollusks are fed with special mixtures that contain all the necessary components or are provided with the usual food chalk. Most farms use mixed types of feed: fresh herbal mixtures and special dry (powder) feed for snails.
- The next factor affecting the full development and reproduction is purity. it is necessary to carry out cleaning regularly in the cages with the snails. In a farm, cleaning is done every day. Since the density of snails meter is quite dense, therefore, the soil becomes polluted after feeding, wetting and the natural digestion cycle of the mollusk. The purity of the environment influences the life of pets. In the polluted environment, snails will not breed.
- Soil. For the proper formation of the shell, which is the guarantor of the life of the mollusk, calcium or rather mineralized soil are required. The soil must contain calcium. However, not only the content is important, but the quality of the soil as well. For example, the mollusk will not be able to multiply in clay soil, because the earth is too compacted under the influence of water and sun. Humus is perfect variant for snail farms. In the process of reproduction of snails eggs are laid in the ground. A fertilized snail chooses a place for laying, digs a hole, up to 10 cm deep, lays offspring and falls asleep. That is why the land should be “fluffy”, with the level of acidity not exceeding 7.0 pH.
- Lighting and ventilation. Compliance with these conditions is mandatory in farms of closed type. The activity of mollusks depends on the activity of the sun. If you create correct lighting (about 18 hours a day), the helix will grow faster. Accordingly, the time will soon come for breeding. Well, since snails breathe through the lung, they simply need to have clean air. Among other things, artificial ventilation will accelerate the process of normalizing humidity.
Hewlix Aspersa are ready for reproduction at the age of 7 months and can give babies two times a year. One lay can reach 180 pieces. If the farm is open, one may not notice mating process. Therefore, incubators and isolated premises are used for laying. Several species ready for mating are placed in separate premises. The gender does not matter, since snails are hermaphrodites. They are provided with the necessary conditions for mating. After mating, the species are separated for laying eggs. The caviar is transported to the incubator with the particular conditions:
- Soil with the acidity level of 3,5-4,5 рН. Acid humus is optimal;
- Temperature is maintained at the level of 17-20 degrees;
- humidity 90%;
- feeding is not required. Shard is the first food of a baby snail. It is rich in calcium and gives the baby snail all the required useful components and stimuli to leave the soil. .
As soon as the baby snail has become stronger, it can be placed with other mollusks.
The mating process is quite fascinating. First, there is a search for a partner. The snail becomes more active when it chooses a pair. Then the period of marriage games takes place. It can last about two hours. Later, each individual produces a “love arrow” when both partners stick together with the soles of their feet. Through these calcium formations, sex cells are exchanged. When the “game” is completed, both snails crawl away in search of a suitable place for laying eggs.