Keeping of Helix Lucorum
Helix Lucorum is a type of snails, known as mountain mollusk or Lucorum. They are less popular than grape snails, but they are also cultivated for sale and use in food and cosmetics industry due to large amount of mucus.
Peculiarities of keeping
Helix Lucorum snails are placed in separate boxes with 40-50 pieces in each. The boxes are covered with net-like lids to avoid snails; escape. The boxes, filled with snails, are placed on shelves.
Homeland of Lukorum is mountainous area of the Eastern Mediterranean and Asia Minor. Due to this, the snails are called “mountain”. In Ukraine, Helix Lucorum inhabits the Crimea, since its warm climate promotes their grown both in artificial and natural conditions. In the colder regions of Ukraine, Lukorum’s breeding is possible only in closed farms.
In artificial conditions it is necessary to maintain the temperature of 20-26 degrees and monitor the humidity:
- humidity should be 60-90%;
- dry and wet periods should alternate;
- each of the periods should last up to 14 days.
For a comfortable life, Lukorums need a large amount of vegetation and calcified soil. In nature, this species is found in deciduous forests, hiding in the fields and shrubs, while trying to be as close as possible to the water.
Such situation should be artificially created as well. Mollusks perceive the environment not only as an area for living, but also as a source of food: organic food should be abundant and the soil should be fertilized. Calcium contributes to the strength and hardness of the shell
Lukorum consumes products of organic origin. Its diet should include:
1. Vegetables and crops (cabbage, beets, horseradish).
2. Fruits and berries (bananas, grapes).
3. Balanced food. Thermally and mechanically processed food with a high content of substances useful for the snails. Usually, it contains barley, sorghum, lime flour and wheat bran.
4. Delicacies. For Helix Lucorum, these are eggs, cottage cheese, bread soaked in milk.
Like other snails, the mountain mollusk is hermaphrodite. each pet has both female and male sexual characteristics and can mate with any individual of the same species.
For reproduction, you need to conduct special preparations: set up vessels filled with a mixture of soil and lime sand. The mixture should be wet, fill half the vessel. Egg laying takes three days. The incubation period is up to 27. At this time, the following conditions should be maintained:
- 20 degrees Celsius (Celsius);
- 85% humidity;
- 8 hours of illumination using artificial sources (day), and 16 hours of no light (night).
Such conditions contribute to the acceleration of the incubation period, while the hatching begins in the 19th day.